Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

A Burning by Megha Majumdar

How I Heard About It:
*I first learned of this new novel while watching the Today Show with Hoda and Jenna.  I didn't give it much thought, but it sounded like a powerful story.  Then I began to see the title on more lists and recommendations.  My curiosity was sparked and I ordered myself a copy.  I began reading a few days ago and finished yesterday. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Jivan is a young girl caught in a political/media storm after a terrorist act on a train in India. 


2.  *PT Sir was Jivan's teacher and now finds himself between his old world in education and trying to make a name for himself within the political scene in India. 

3.  *Lovely is an uneducated girl trying to make it big in Bollywood.  She has crossed paths with Jivan in a student/tutor type relationship. 

4.  *Based on some pretty weak evidence, Jivan is thrown in jail and awaits trial for her "roll" in the train bombing. 

5.  *She will come to rely on both PT Sir and Lovely to assist her from escaping the nightmare she had found herself in. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Normally, I don't think I would have gravitated toward this type of novel, but for some reason I was drawn in, engaged, and gave a lot of thought to the story. 

2.  *Some of the dialogue, vocabulary, and names confused me, but didn't distract from the overall story. 

3.  *As much as I found some of the events in the story horrifying, I know they represent a true aspect of what really occurs in our world. 

4.  *Jivan was an incredible character and one that brought tears to my ears on more than one occasion. 

5.  *As much as I was saddened, disturbed, and angry with the conclusion, I know it was the route the author had to take. 


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend this story to all readers, especially considering what is going on in our world currently.  Very timely, relevant, and thought-provoking.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment