Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, June 19, 2020

Three Keys by Kelly Yang

How I Heard About It:
*Last year I read Front Desk and absolutely adored the story.  I was thrilled to learn there was going to be follow-up story.  I was even more excited when I learned a member of #bookexpedition received an ARC.  The book recently arrived and I've spent the last couple of days revisiting the characters and the now famous motel. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Mia is back and ready to tackle sixth grade with a new sense of purpose.

2.  *She is thrilled her family, and friends, are now the proud owners of the Calivista Motel. 

3.  *Once the new school year begins, Mia realizes not everything is going to be smooth sailing. 

4.  *Her friend Lupe must keep her family situation a secret, especially with Proposition 187 looming over all the citizens of California. 

5.  *Once again, Mia must be strong, stand on her own two feet, and fight for what she knows is right. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Overall, I would say I don't usually enjoy the sequel to a well-written story.  That was not the case with this second story in the "series". 

2.  *Reading the book was such fun because I got to go back to the Calivista Motel and "see" all the great and unique characters that were introduced in the first book.

3.  *The subject matter, immigration, is extremely timely and relevant.  The novel would be great to use with a class to open the discussion about immigrants and what they are facing in our country. 

4.  *I enjoyed reading about Mia and her complex and interesting relationships with family members, hotel guests, friends, and even her new sixth grade teacher. 

5.  *The plot takes up right where the first story ended and doesn't disappoint.  In fact, I may have enjoyed this second story even more than the first book. 


Who Should Read It:
*Three Keys will be perfect for readers in grades three through six.  Middle-school readers would also be a target audience for the story.  If you know of readers who read Front Desk, then they MUST put the companion title on their TBR list.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment