Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Pretty Things by Janelle Brown

How I Heard About It:
*Over the last couple of months I've seen this title on several must read lists for summer 2020.  One day after a visit with her mother, my wife brought home a copy of the novel.  Her mom had read it and said she could NOT put it down.  I guess I had my next novel published for adults. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Nina loves a good con.  Why wouldn't she being that her own mother was a master of the ultimate con. 

2.  *Vanessa doesn't need to con anyone since she comes from one of the wealthiest families in the states. 

3.  *When Nina was in high-school she met Vanessa's brother Benny.  The two of them began to hang out, but Benny's family didn't approve of Nina or her life.

4.  *When Nina's mother becomes seriously ill, she must find a way to get enough money to pay for the necessary medical treatments. 

5.  *The time has come for the con to end all cons.  Nina and a partner head back into the world of Vanessa, which ultimately leads her back to Benny. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I love a strong story line, a page turner, and memorable characters.  This book had them all. 

2.  *This was the perfect novel published for adults to be read during summer vacation.  Nothing too heavy, but an engaging plot and interesting characters.

3.  *There were plenty of surprises and twists and turns along the way.  I never knew what was going to happen in the next chapter. 

4.  *Even though both female characters had their flaws, I still found myself liking each of them in their own "special" way. 

5.  *The idea of wanting what the rich and famous have, is strewn throughout the pages of the book and show no matter how much money or access one has; that isn't going to bring true happiness. 


Who Should Read It:
I think most adult readers would enjoy the story.  If you are heading on a "safe" vacation or staying safe at home, I highly recommend the book for your summer enjoyment.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment