Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, March 11, 2013

Music Monday #4 (One Moment in Time)

Another Monday and another Music Monday.  It is always so fun when the kids walk in the door on Mondays and start asking what the Music Monday song is going to be.  My answer is always the same:  "You will find out today at 3:00 PM."

This was a song I picked last year during the month of February.  It was right after Whitney Houston died.  I grew up listening to her music.  It really was the soundtrack to my life as they say.  I was stunned by her early death as I know many people were.  I shared this monumental song with my class last year.  Even though it has been over a year since her death, I still wanted to share a piece of music history with my current class.

There are many powerful songs from Whitney Houston I could pick, but this one speaks to the possibility in all of us.  We all have our moment in time and want to be the best we can be.  This is one of the main themes I strive to stress with all my students.  I want them to reach their full potential.  The lyrics in the song are incredible, meaningful, and show the reach our lives can have

It was interesting as I showed the video (included below) how quiet my class became.  Their eyes were glued to the screen showing the Olympic themed video, but I also knew they were listening to an incredible voice.  A few even commented on the strength of her voice.  After the video, we played the song again and the kids got busy writing.  I can always tell if a song is well received by how much the students are writing and conversing with each other.  Today was one of those great Music Monday days! 


I've included the video below the list of our Music Monday selections...

Our Music Monday List for 2012-2013...

Music Monday #1 (What I Am by Will I Am)
Music Monday #2 (Proud by Heather Small)
Music Monday #3 (Good Time by Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen)
Music Monday #4 (Dreamer by Chris Brown)
Music Monday #5 (Home by Phillip Phillips)
Music Monday #6 (Count on Me by Bruno Mars)
Music Monday #7 (Louder by Charice)
Music Monday #8 (Thriller by Michael Jackson)
Music Monday #9 (Firework by Katy Perry)
Music Monday #10 (Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo ole)
Music Monday #11 (Hall of Fame by The Script with Will I Am)
Music Monday #12 (Shooting Star by Owl City)
Music Monday #13 (Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson)
Music Monday #14 (Do They Know Its Christmas by Band Aid)
Music Monday #14 (Do They Know Its Christmas from Glee)
Music Monday #15 (Take a Look at Me Now by Greyson Chance)
Music Monday #16 (My Wish by Rascal Flatts)
Music Monday #17 (Dream Big by Ryan Shupe and the RubberBand)
Music Monday #18 (The World's Greatest by R. Kelly)
Music Monday #19 (Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and Glee)
Music Monday #20 (Rainbow Connection from The Muppets)
Music Monday #21 (One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston)

One Moment in Time Video (1988 Olympics) - Click here for Olympic Themed Video I showed my class


*Here is another video of Whitey Houston singing the song back in the DAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment