Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee...

How I Heard About It:   This is another novel that I heard about long before it was released.  Many of my Twitter friends were talking about it as they were reading ARC's of the book.  I was excited to purchase a copy of the book and add it to my classroom collection.  

What It Is About:  Ophelia Jane Worthington-Whittard is a smart girl that believes only in science and things that can be proved.  The last thing she is going to believe in is magic.  But that is just what she is going to find.  Ophelia and her sister Alice, along with their father, have moved to a new city where he has found a new job in a very strange museum.  As Ophelia explores the museum on her first day there, she discovers a boy that has been locked away in a secret room by the "Snow Queen."  The boy asks Ophelia to locate a sword that will help in his release from this "jail" that he has been a prisoner in for years and years.  She sets out to find this sword while learning the story of the boy and how he came to be a prisoner.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was another case of hearing too much about a book before I had the chance to read it myself.  I'm learning that I'm more of a fan of realistic fiction as opposed to fantasy or magical stories.  This was a very well-written story, but didn't hold my attention from the start to the very end.  There were parts that I enjoyed, but there were also sections that moved quite slowly and/or confused me.  I'm glad I read it, but didn't find it to be the novel that so many other readers raved about.  

Who Should Read It:  Even though I didn't give it 5 stars, I book talked it with my class and passed it along to a fourth grade reader who I know is enjoying it as I write this.  There are other readers that are waiting patiently for him to finish so they too can read this book.  The story would make for a wonderful read aloud in grades four through six.  If a student was going to read it on their own, then I think they should be a strong fourth grade reader or one that is in grades five and six.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment