Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Ruby by Cynthia Bond...

How I Heard About It:  I heard of this novel via the Oprah Book Club.  I've read several of her picks in the past.  Some of them I have really enjoyed and some of them not so much.  After hearing her rave about this latest find, I was curious to read the book.

What It Is About:  It is a bit hard to describe this story because I'm not sure I really understood it.  Ruby lived in a small town in Texas.  Many horrible events occurred in her early life which left her damaged and emotionally scared.  As a young girl she met Ephram who is a young boy living in the same town with his older sister.  Both of their parents have caused a "stir" within the town which has left them alone to raise themselves.  Ephram falls "in love" with Ruby and just wants to be with her.  Ruby leaves Texas as soon as she can and goes to New York to escape her past.  Years later she has to return to town because of a tragedy.  Ephram is thrilled to know that she has returned and makes it his mission to become part of her life.  Life becomes hard for Ruby again because all of her demons from the past return and drive her "mad."  The town's people don't make life easy on Ruby and Ephram takes it upon himself to save her not only from them, but from Ruby herself.

What I Thought Of It:  This was not the kind of story that is for me.  It was hard to follow at times. I think this is because it was part fiction, part fantasy, and part just plain strange.  I did like parts of the story when I could understand it, but overall it just wasn't for me.  The writing was beautiful, but the plot was just too "out there" for my personal tastes.  This is what I have found with some of Oprah's picks.  I'm glad I tried it and stretched myself as a reader.  It is always good to try books that you normally wouldn't read.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm sure there are readers out there that will love this story.  It is really well written and some beautiful language.  If you follow Oprah's book club, then you might also enjoy this novel.  I would think that readers that enjoy realistic fiction with sprinkles of magic, witchcraft, and ghosts will find this story quite compelling.  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment