Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, June 10, 2016

The Vacationers by Emma Straub

How I Heard About It:  While searching the library shelves for an audio book to listen to as I wrapped up my 25th year of teaching, I saw this title.  I remembering having seen it on "to-read" lists from a couple years ago.  I didn't know much about the story, but thought I would give it a try as I was looking for an adult novel to listen to.  

What It Is About:  All families love to go on vacation.  It is a time to get away, relax, enjoy time together, and of course take in the sights.  For the Post family, they are hoping for all of these things, but that might be nearly impossible.  Mr. and Mrs. Post are having difficulties in their marriage because of a work and personal decision he made that may cost him everything.  Their son joins them with his girlfriend, but his life isn't turning out the way his parents would like to see.  Their daughter, who just finished high school, is hoping to find "love" on the island and become a woman.  This transition could be quite harmful to her heart.  All of the family secrets come to surface during the two-week period they spend on this glamorous island.  They arrived as a family of four (with friends along the way for the ride), but two weeks can change a family in many ways.  

What I Thought Of It:  This audio story for me was so-so.  There wasn't too much that happened.  I guess you would call it a character study.  Yes, each character had something from their "past" and it was interesting to find those things out, but overall the story wasn't completely engaging. I did finish listening to it and that says something for me, so I had to give it three stars.  

Who Should Read It:  Readers of works by Straub would find this a satisfying reader.  The writing is good, but there just isn't a lot of "action" during the story.  I think readers who truly enjoy character driven stories, would find satisfaction with this novel.  It is definitely an adult book.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment