Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

How I Heard About It:  Everything, Everything was such a great young-adult novel.  I remember reading it and not being able to put the book down.  I was also so completely surprised by the "twist" in the plot.  Shortly after reading the book, I started to hear "buzz" about Nicola's next novel.  I added this title to be TBR list, but for a variety of reasons never got to it.  Recently during an online "check-out" session from my public library, I came across this title and immediately added the audio to the "order".  

What It Is About:  Some people believe in science and facts.  Others believe in love and fate.  What happens when these two "viewpoints" collide?  That is what this novel explores when Natasha and Daniel meet randomly on a New York City street.  Natasha is in the city to see an immigration lawyer to help her family from being deported back to Jamaica.  Daniel is in the city to be interviewed for admission to college.  Natasha is trying to fix all the "mistakes" her father and family have made in the last few years.  Daniel is doing the "right" thing and following his parents dreams, wishes, and demands.  When these two teens met there is an automatic "attraction".  Natasha isn't sure what is going on because she doesn't believe in this kind of instant connection.  Daniel is thrilled with the encounter and just wants to go with it.  They spend the day together talking, sharing, and getting to know each other.  Natasha and Daniel also share their "stories" and help each other to move forward.  They come across a variety of characters that have a direct influence on the outcome of their day.  

What I Thought Of It:  After reading Everything, Everything, I couldn't wait to read her second novel.  Plus there was so much positive "buzz" about this title which brought even more excitement.  When I first started listening, I wasn't so sure about the story.  It seemed like a typical high-school romance story.  To be honest, I was a bit disappointed.  The more I listened the more I began to "fall" into the story.  It was interesting to see how Yoon intertwined the story of Natasha and Daniel with a cast of supporting characters and their stories.  By the end of the book, I was hooked, invested in Natasha and Daniel, and cared greatly about them.  The ending of the story was superb and I was so glad I hung in there.  The two books are very different from each other, but that to me is a sign of a great writer.  

Who Should Read It:  A great book for the young-adult reader.  I think they will be able to relate to both Natasha and Daniel.  There is some language and content that would only be appropriate for a high school reader and above.  Of course adult readers that enjoy young-adult books, will also be satisfied with this story.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment