Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Ms. Mulligan and the Enchanted Ice Cream by Tiffany Elaine

How I Heard About It:  This title came to me via the publisher.  I was intrigued by the cover.  It was a thrill to be invited to be a part of "press" tour where readers were sharing their thoughts on Instagram and their blogs.  I'm excited to share my thoughts when I first posted this review on August 14th.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Tabby, Dolly, and Kat are having a sleep over the night before Tabby's twelfth birthday.  When Tabby wakes up the next morning she finds herself in the body of a 25-year-old woman.  

2.  *The three girls come up with a plan and create "Ms. Mulligan" who becomes their English teacher.  Their main goal is to figure out why Tabby changed and how to get her back to "normal".  

3.  *While Tabby is in the body of Ms. Mulligan, she and her friends are lead on a journey where they find out secrets about Tabby's father, a secret society that Tabby may be a member of, and other mysterious situations.  

4.  *There are two evil sisters that are called the Black and White Sisters.  They are out to "get" Tabby.

5.  *Tabby navigates her new world as an adult, but is torn between being a kid and trying to masquerade herself someone else.  It doesn't make it easy when she sees her two best friends and the boy she likes living their life while she is a bit "stuck".  


What I Thought Of It:  The story starts off with a bang as Tabby wakes up in the body of an adult.  I will pulled into the story right from the get-go.  I got a kick out of her friendship with Dolly and Kat. Each girl was so different from the other, but they had such a special bond between them.  There was a lot presented in the story and at times I got a little confused as to how everything related.  It was fascinating to read and learn about the history of the "curse" and how it came to be put on Tabby and her family.  As with every great story, there was a perfect combination of protagonists and antagonists.  The Black and White Sisters certainly added a lot of "tension" to the plot.  I can see many readers enjoying this first "edition" of the series.  


Who Should Read It:   I don't normally like to qualify books for males or females, but I do think that the girls may be more drawn to the story than boys.  They would relate to the three main characters and all the adventures they encounter.  Fourth, fifth, and sixth grade readers would be perfect for the book.  I also think middle-school readers who enjoy a great mystery would find this an enjoyable read.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for being on the tour! I'm glad you enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete