Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The Storm Keeper's Island by Catherine Doyle

How I Heard About It:  I picked up an ARC of this title during my visit to Houston for #NCTE18.  It sat in my TBR pile for quite sometime, but I finally got to it in the last couple of weeks.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Fionn and his older sister are visiting Arranmore Island where their grandfather lives.  It is Fionn's first visit and he has some worries about the trip.

2.  *His mother has talked about the island and some of the strange happenings that occur on this remote and different island.  

3.  Upon, arrival Fionn's sister seems to want to do her own thing, which leaves him to spend time with their grandfather.  

4.  Fionn learns that the island is in need of a "new" Storm Keeper because his grandfather is stepping down.  It would seem the new power would go to Fionn, but it isn't as easy as that.

5.  Fionn must fight against a variety of powers that are dwelling on the island if he wants to save his family's legacy.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *I thought the beginning of the story was strong, interesting, and engaging.

2.  *As I got further into the story, the plot got somewhat confusing and choppy.  I wasn't sure what was going on and who some of the characters were.

3.  *I did find myself skimming and scanning during different parts of the story.  

4.  *Part of my reaction could be because I'm not a huge fan of fantasy and/or magic.  I'm more of a realistic fiction reader.  

5.  *Reflecting on the story, I do think there is a definite young audience that would eat up the story, adventure, and twists and turns.  


Who Should Read It:   I think this novel needs to be put in the hands of a middle-grade reader who enjoys fantasy and/or magic.  In my opinion, fifth and sixth graders would be perfect for the story.  Of course it could also be used with middle-school readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment