Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, March 4, 2019

An Inside Look #80 (Author INTERVIEW)

Inside Look with Allison Varnes
(Author of Property of the Rebel Librarian)  

*During the summer of 2016, I added this feature to the blog which was called "Season #ONE".  This first season ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*I started up the interviews again in June of 2017.  It was great to get back to Season #TWO.  This season ran throughout the summer.  

*Season #THREE ran during the school year of 2017/2018.  


*The next season (season #FOUR) of interviews took place during the summer and fall of 2018.  With each interview I became more and more impressed with the authors I was having interactions with.  

*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the NINTH interview of what I'm calling Season #FIVE.

*Thank you to Allison Varnes for being the Eightieth author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.  

*Here are links to the first Seventy-Nine interviews…

SEASON #ONE

























SEASON #FOUR

Interview #53 with Preston Norton (Author of Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe)

Interview #54 with Jonathan Auxier (Author of Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster)

Interview #55 with Sharon Creech (Author of Saving Winslow)

Interview #56 with Stacy McAnulty (Author of The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl)

Interview #57 with Kelly Yang (Author of Front Desk)

Interview #58 with Jennifer A. Nielsen (Author of Resistance)

Interview 59 with Christina Collins (Author of After Zero)

Interview #60 with Eric Walters (Author of Elephant Secrets)

Interview #61 with Phil Bildner (Author of The Rip and Red Series)

Interview #62 with Erin Soderberg (Author of Milla in Charge)

Interview #63 with Laura Shovan (Author of Take Down)

Interview #64 with Donna Gephart (Author of In Your Shoes)

Interview #65 with Alan Gratz (Author of Grenade)

Interview #66 with Barbara O'Connor (Author of Wonderland)

Interview #67 with Lindsey Stoddard (Author of Just Like Jackie)

Interview #68 with Katherine Marsh (Author of Nowhere Boy)

Interview #69 with Dusti Bowling (Author of 24 Hours in Nowhere)

Interview #70 with Christina Uss (Author of The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle)

Interview #71 with Adam P. Schmitt (Author of Speechless)



SEASON #FIVE

Interview #72 with Dan Gemeinhart (Author of The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise)

Interview #73 with Abby Cooper (Author of Sticks and Stones)

Interview #74 with Abby Cooper (Author of Bubbles)

Interview #75 with Abby Cooper (Author of Friend or Fiction)

Interview #76 with Padma Venkatraman (Author of The Bridge Home)

Interview #77 with Anne Ursu (Author of The Lost Girl)

Interview #78 with Corey Ann Haydu (Author of Eventown)

Interview #79 with Jeff Zentner (Author of Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee)


*Any novel that centers around children and books, has me before I even start.  I so enjoyed this novel and know it will be one that I share with my students.

*After I finished the book, I reached out to Allison Varnes and requested an interview about her story and character.  She was kind enough to give me a quick YES!  

*Allison Varnes was kind, gracious, and giving with her answers to the questions.  It is an honor to post her responses here on the blog.  

*Thank you Allison for writing this book...


Property of the Rebel Librarian
by Allison Varnes (September 18, 2018)


What do you think is June's most admirable quality?
I think June's most admirable quality is the ability to speak up for what she thinks is right, even when it is at great cost to herself.



Is there anything you wish June would have changed or done differently in her story?
 I don't have any regrets, and neither does June!



What do you think June can offer to other children that are experiencing similar situations to what she went through?
I hope June's journey will inspire kids to speak up for what they believe in.



How did you research June and the circumstances she found herself in?
I worked in a school where my freedom to teach Harry Potter was abruptly taken away. I understand what it is to lose the freedom to read, and unfortunately, so do my former students. I wrote Property of the Rebel Librarian from this unfortunate real-life perspective. I also had lengthy conversations with a school board member and librarian friend to make key scenes as real as possible!



Do you and June share any similarities?
Yes. I'm a former marching band geek. Don't tell me what to read.



What was the hardest scene to write about June?
The middle scene in the last chapter. I won't go into detail to prevent ruining the ending for those who haven't read it yet!



Who do you think was June's biggest supporter and why?
Oh, that's a tough question! June makes some new friends who support her endeavors, but I believe her sister, Kate, is her biggest cheerleader. No one else understands exactly what June is up against at home.



Why do you think some young people, like June, are able to step out and fight for a cause they believe in, when others stand back and do nothing?
I wish I knew! Maybe some kids just haven't found their voices yet!



What do you think June is doing at the present time?
She's operating another secret library, of course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment