Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Closer to Nowhere by Ellen Hopkins

How I Heard About It:
*A story I've been hearing a lot about in the last couple of months.  I requested an E-ARC via NetGalley and was thrilled when I was approved for a copy.  I read the story while on summer vacation.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Hannah appears to have it all.  A loving family, a talent at sports, and friends at school.

2.  *Her cousin Cal, doesn't have it all and he knows it.  His mother has died, his father is missing, and he isn't accepted by the kids at school.


3.  *After the death of his mother, Cal moves in with Hannah and her family.  This is the last thing Hannah wants and isn't sure how she is going to deal with it.

4.  *As Hannah's family adjust to having Cal in their home, Hannah realizes her parents are having issues of their own.

5.  *Cal tries his hardest to fit into Hannah's family, life, and school, but can't seem to leave his past where it belongs; in the past.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I loved this story.  I loved the characters.  I loved the feelings.  I loved the themes.

2.   *The story was told in verse which I normally don't enjoy, but the format worked so well with Hannah and Cal's story.

3.  *The plot unfolded by alternating viewpoints of the two main characters which created one strong middle-grade tale.

4.  *The themes of family, friendship, addiction, acceptance, and abandonment were written about with grace, sensitivity, and authenticity. 

5.  *The only element in the story I was unsure about was an incident that occurred at the school toward the end of the story.  I'm not sure it was needed and may have been a bit too much.  Just my opinion.


Who Should Read It:
*This is an important story and one that should be in all classroom libraries from grades four and above.  Middle-school readers will definitely be able to relate to both Hannah and Cal's stories.  The story would be an excellent class read aloud and/or used as a book club selection.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment