Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 20, 2020

Kinston and the Magician's Lost and Found by Rucker Moses and Theo Gangi

How I Heard About It:
*During #ALAvirtual2020, I was able to obtain quite a few electronic ARC's.  This was one of them.  I was a little unsure of the story based on the cover, but then I went back to the old saying "Don't judge a book by its cover!"  So, in I went with an open mind.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *The story begins with young Kingston and his mother moving back to Brooklyn where they used to live with Kingston's father.

2.  *They moved after Kingston's father disappeared, through a mirror, during one of his biggest magic shows he had ever performed in.

3.  *Once Kingston is back in Echo City, he is determined to find out what happened on the night his father vanished from the stage.

4.  *He also learns that all of the "real magic" left the city the same day his father did.  He knows there is a connection.

5.  *With the help of a friend and some family members, he sets out to finally solve the mystery of his father's disappearance and if there truly is such a thing as "real magic".


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I was touched by the bond and relationship in which Kingston had with his father.

2.  *The world of magic, tricks, and magicians was also fascinating and interesting to read about.

3.  *During some of the scenes when Kingston was in other "realms" I was a bit confused on what was going on.

4.  *I'm not a huge fan of fantasy or magical plots so I did lose a bit of interest as I read.

5.  *After finishing, I did think young readers who enjoy magic and magicians will definitely enjoy the adventure Kingston goes on in search of his father.


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the subject matter, pacing, and character ages, I would recommend the novel for readers in grades five and above.  I think the middle-school reader would be the best audience for the story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment