Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, December 6, 2021

Those Kids From Fawn Creek by Erin Entrada Kelly

How I Heard About It:
*I love being a member of #bookexpedition.  We are a group of readers who are lucky to be able to share upcoming middle-grade ARC's.  This one came to me via another member and I was thrilled to get a chance to read the story before its release in early 2022.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Fawn Creek is a very small town with a very small class of students.

*Nothing really happens in Fawn Creek and everyone knows everyone else; including all of their "secrets" and past "mistakes".

*One day, a new student arrives in town. Her name is Orchid Mason and her arrival changes everything.

*Orchid isn't like the other kids.  She has been all over the world, experienced more than most adults in town, and has a mysterious aura about her.  

*Some of the kids in town are thrilled with her arrival, and others aren't so sure she is all she appears to be.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I have loved all of Erin Entrada Kelly's novels, but I think this may be my new favorite.  

*I absolutely loved all the characters, both the good and "bad" ones.  

*The mystery of Orchid was intriguing and interesting.  She was such a gem of a character.

*The development of each student in class was spot on and created a well-rounded cast of characters.

*The story read smoothly and was quite a page turner.  I can't wait to share the novel with my fourth grade readers.


Who Should Read It:
*This would be the ideal story for kids in grades four and five.  All readers will enjoy the story of "those kids from Fawn Creek."  The novel should also be put on all shelves in grades six, seven, and eight.  Fans of Kelly will definitely want to put the new title on their TBR list. Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment