Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, February 20, 2023

The Life and Crimes of Hoodie Rosen by Isaac Blum

How I Heard About It:
*After seeing this title pop up in a variety of places, I decided it was time for me to experience the story myself.  I actually downloaded the title via Audible.  The narration was enjoyable and easy to listen to.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Hoodie Rosen is an Orthodox Jewish high-school boy.

*His community has recently relocated to a mostly non-jewish area called Tregaron.  

*Hoodie enjoys his day to day life, but that all changes when he meets Anna-Marie.

*She is the daughter of the Mayor who is trying to remove the Orthodox Jewish people from the neighborhood.  

*Hoodie finds himself in the middle of an "anti-Semitic" crime which forces him to grow up faster than he would like.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*As I mentioned, I found the narration to be enjoyable, strong, and an easy to listen to.

*Overall, I enjoyed the story of Hoodie and everything that happened to him.  

*There were some section of the story that moved a bit too slow for my personal preference, but I kept listening to the story and found things always picked up pace soon.  

*I didn't know too much about the Orthodox Jewish life, so it was interesting to take in all the new information.  

*The relationship between Hoodie and Anna-Marie was fun to read about and I often found myself laughing at the dialogue between the two main characters.


Who Should Read It:
*The perfect story for readers in middle-school and high-school.  If the reader is of the Orthodox Jewish background, I do believe they would truly enjoy the story and be able to related to many of the events that took place in Hoodie's life.  


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment