Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, July 19, 2024

Deep Water by Jamie Sumner

How I Came Across It... *This middle-grade novel has been highly recommended by several of my reading friends, both online and in person. I have enjoyed the other Jamie Sumner stories so I was looking forward to sitting down and "diving" into Deep Water. What It's About - Five Things You Need to Know... *Tully has one goal in mind. To swim across a lake for six hours.

*She wanted to complete this swim with her mother, but she has left Tully and her father and they aren't sure where she is.

*With the help of her best friend, Arch, the two set off early one morning, hit the lake, and began the marathon swim.

*While Tully is making her way across the early morning water, she recalls events in her life with her mother present and absent.

*With many elements against, Tully, she is determined to prove to herself and her mother that she can accomplish this feat.
What I Thought of It - Five Observations/Reflections... *An absolute beautiful story told verse. 

*Once I started the story, I literally could not stop and read the entire novel in one sitting.

*The writing was incredible and thought-provoking.

*As I read, I kept thinking I wanted a best friend like Arch.  He is one of a kind.  

*This story had it all and I know will be enjoyed by young readers.
Who Should Read It...
*I know readers in grades three, four, five, and six will find this an appealing and interesting story. The book could also be used in all middle-school classrooms. I know I will be using the story either as a class read aloud or a book club selection. Happy Reading! Rating...
5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment