Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 1, 2024

The Color of Sound by Emily Barth Isler

How I Came Across It... *An online reading friend recommended this middle-grade novel to me, so I gave it a try. I knew nothing of the story so I went in with no preconceived notions. That to me can be one of the best things about reading a new book. What It's About - Five Things You Need to Know... *Rose is twelve years old and a violin prodigy.

*This summer she has decided she is NOT going to play the violin and/or practice.

*This decision upsets her mother greatly and she doesn't understand why Rose is putting the instrument to the side.

*Rose and her mother take a summer trip to spend time with her grandparents.

*While visiting her grandma and grandpa, Rose gets to know some new freinds; some of which are from the present and one that may have come from the "past". What I Thought of It - Five Observations/Reflections... *I started the novel and abandoned after about fifty pages or so.

*My friend suggested I go back to the story and continue reading; so I did.

*I liked the plot better with the revisit, but overall I wasn't completely engaged and/or interested.

*The plot aspect of the character from the past was interesting and I enjoyed those sections of the story.

*I also appreciated the relationships Rose formed while visiting her grandparents.
Who Should Read It... *I'm thinking if you know of a young reader who appreciates music and/or plays an instrument, they would be an ideal audience for the story. I think it is geared towards readers in grades five through eight. Happy Reading!

Rating...
3 out of 5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment