Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sharp by David Fitzpatrick (Adult Book)

For my first "official" book review, I couldn't be more thrilled than to review the book Sharp by David Fitzpatrick.

How I Heard About It:  I saw an interview with David Fitzpatrick and Wally Lamb online on USA today.  Wally Lamb is my favorite adult author so that drew me to the interview to learn more about this book.

What It Is About:  This is a memoir about David's journey into the world of mental illness and how he found his way back.  He spent many years going from one hospital to another to another to another.

What I Thought Of It:  I don't read many memoirs, but when I do I enjoy them.  This was definitely a page-turner and I couldn't put it down.  The story was honest, raw, real, and disturbing at times.  I especially found it difficult to read about David's cutting and burning himself.  It is amazing how people can become so mentally ill that they do hurtful things to themselves.  The therapy he received was fascinating to read about and as the reader, I was rooting for him the whole time.  Of course I also love the fact that David became friends with Wally Lamb many years ago and Wally assisted him on his journey into writing. 

Who Should Read It:  I am recommending this book to everyone I know.  I think any adult reader that enjoys memoirs, will thoroughly enjoy this story.  As I mentioned before, this story is raw and real, but is necessary for David to tell his real story.  The pages read quickly and the story is quite engaging.   

No comments:

Post a Comment