Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Way Home by George Pelecanos...

How I Heard About It:  During one of my visits to our local library, I came across this audio book.  The cover and the title caught my attention and I decide to give it a try.  I'm always looking for excellent audio books to keep me company on my thirty minute commute to and from work.  

What It Is About:  Chris Flynn didn't have an easy childhood.  It wasn't because of his parents.  They had good jobs.  They provided a great home for Chris.  His parents provided him with everything he could want for.  For some reason, this wasn't enough for Chris and he made a series of really bad decisions.  These decisions led him to a detention home for many years.  After his time here, he begins to put his life together.  Despite tension with his father, he takes a job at his carpet business.  While Chris and a buddy from the detention center are installing carpet they come across a bag with a lot of money in it.  Both young men debate what they should do, but tell each other they will leave the money where they found it.  When the "owners" of the cash find it missing, they come after Chris and his friend.  Both claim their innocence and find themselves in a world that brings them back to their early years of crime and danger.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was a really good audio book.  I enjoyed the entire story and made the commute to and from work enjoyable.  The narrator was easy to listen to.  The plot moved along nicely and kept me interested the entire "drive".  The cast of characters were strong and developed quite well.  I had never read (or listened) to anything by this author, but I enjoyed his writing style.  

Who Should Read It:  This is a story for everyone.  Readers of fiction will enjoy it.  Readers of mystery will find it a great read.  I can't think of any group that wouldn't be able to find something they like about this particular story.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment