Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, July 29, 2016

Friend Friday #150 (Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher)

Hi!  I'm Stacy and I read the book called Dear Committee Members written by Julie Schumacher.


I think this book is funny and a bit heart breaking because the author packs so much wit and intellect into the letters of recommendation, and at the same time weaves in a sad story about one of the college students.  


My favorite part in the story is the fact that it is written entirely in letters of recommendation because I had never read a book in this format and it worked so well.  


The character that I liked best was the English professor because he is not at first a person to admire, but as the story continues, one sees the caring and concerned teacher and friend underneath the bitter and inappropriate exterior.  


I think the author wrote this book because she has experienced inequalities at the college that she works and because she wanted to write a book in a unique format.  


I would recommend this book to my friends because this is an author that can truly manipulate English vocabulary.  


Reading to me is a continual way to increase my written and spoken vocabulary because at any age one can learn to use new words.  


*Stacy is another staff member that I have worked with for years.  
*I actually had her son in my class several years back.
*Her son was (and is) an avid reader and it was so great to share book titles with him.
*Stacy and I talk books all the time.  We both have similar tastes and give each other titles.  
*She is a teacher that really gets the importance of getting young people to love reading!  




No comments:

Post a Comment