Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Select

How I Heard About It:  This title was on my TBR list on GoodReads.  I recently downloaded the app Hoopla which is connected to my local library system.  Through this app I can "checkout" audio versions of novels.  I'm finally moving away from using CD's in my car to listening to stories via my phone with an app.  So cool!  

What It Is About:  Ora Lee Beckworth is living in the south in the late 1970's.  She is a wealthy widow with a lot of clout in her small town.  She hires an elderly black man to maintain her lawn.  He is know as the "Pecan Man" with all the residents.  Ora Lee's maid Blanche, has several children, and lives near her home of employment.  One day Ora Lee returns home to find Blanche on her porch with one of her daughters.  The daughter has been attacked by the chief of police's son who happens to be white.  Ora Lee and Blanche come up with story to share with family and friends about what happened to the young girl.  When the boy who committed this crime is found dead, Ora Lee and Blanche are put smack dab in the middle of great big lie.  Ora Lee knows most of the truth and shares some with Blanche, but keeps some key components from her.  The lies get out of control when Eddie "The Pecan Man" is arrested and convicted of killing the young white man.  Ora Lee must reconcile with herself on the truth of what has really happened and the "story" she has portrayed to everyone around her.  

What I Thought Of It:  Great story telling in this one.  I absolutely loved it.  This is the true definition of literature.  The audio was excellent and the narrator was spot on.  I felt like I was listening to the actual Ora Lee and she was sitting next to me telling the story.  As I read, I could feel the pain and difficulty that she faced because of the lies she told.  Even though she had her own reasons for telling lies, they were still lies and her people along the way.  I loved how there were some great surprises along the way, but mostly this was just a really strong plot that kept my interest the entire listen.  

Who Should Read It:  I would recommend this novel by way of audio.  As I mentioned the narrator was so good that it made for a beautiful listening experience.  I'm sure the actual book would be just as great, but all I know is the voice of Ora Lee and I can't get her out of my head.  If you enjoy southern fiction with all the "fixings", then this is the book for you.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


1 comment: