Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 11, 2018

Lifeboat 12 by Susan Hood

How I Heard About It:  This upcoming novel (September 2018) came to me via my wonderful #bookexpedition group on Twitter.  I almost was going to send it along to the next reader because my stack is higher than I would like.  Once I opened up the book and started reading, I couldn't stop.  

What It Is About:   Thirteen-year-old Ken is living in London when the Nazi's start bombing the city.  He learns that he will be one of many young boys and girls that are going to be shipped away to avoid the danger.  The ship will take him, and the others, to the safety of Canada.  Ken isn't sure he wants to be separated from his family, but has no choice.  The children board the SS City of Benares and begin their voyage across the ocean.  The first few days are one of bliss, happiness, and luxury.  Ken and his new friends can't believe their luck.  Just as they are getting comfortable, the ship is torpedoed and begins to sink.  By the time, Ken finds his "lifeboat", it has already departed.  He ends up on lifeboat 12 along with several other young boys, adult men, and one female.  They begin an adventure that will bring them many days on the sea, hunger, thirst, and many other dangerous.  All Ken wants is to be able to be reunited with his family.  

What I Thought Of It:  The story of Ken and his journey was told in beautiful verse.  As I mentioned, once I started I couldn't stop reading.  This story was based on a true story and was quite the tale to read about.  Ken faced many obstacles that I don't think an adult man could face and/or survive.  The writing drew me in and I felt like I was on the lifeboat right along with those passengers.  I don't normally "love" free verse, but it worked so well for this particular story.  I'm already thinking I'm going to use this novel during our historical fiction unit next year.  

Who Should Read It:  If you teach historical fiction, this would be the perfect novel to use.  The writing is perfect for readers in grades four, five, or six.  It could be read independently, but I'm thinking it would make for a strong and tremendous read aloud.  There are so many cliff hangers that I know the listeners will be begging for more.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment