Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 18, 2018

The Sun Does Shine by Anthony Ray Hinton

How I Heard About It:  Some of Oprah's book club selections I have enjoyed.  Some of them were not for me.  After seeing her interview on Facebook with Anthony Ray Hinton, I went to the book store and bought of a copy of this memoir.  

What It Is About:   Anthony Ray Hinton had a few "run-ins" with the law in Alabama, but nothing major.  He learned from his mother to live the most honest life he could and do right by God.  One day while mowing his mother's yard, two police officers showed up and arrested him.  He wasn't sure why and told himself and his mother it was all a mistake and he would be home soon.  Ray was charged with three murders that had occurred in Alabama.  He was appointed a lawyer by the state.  He had an solid alibi.  The bullets they said killed those men, didn't match.  All of the evidence said Anthony Ray had nothing to do with these crimes, yet he was found guilty and sentence to death row.  This man spent thirty years on death row trying to find a way to prove his innocence.  There are moments when he is ready to end it all and there are moments when he knows the truth will prevail.  

What I Thought Of It:  I couldn't believe this was a true story.  It read like a novel, but I had to keep reminding myself this was one man's true life story.  It was unbelievable to me that a state could convict a man and they "knew" it was innocent and they just needed someone to take the rap.  Anthony tells of his horrific life from the day he was arrested to the day he was finally released 30 years later.  I can't imagine how someone can spend that many years in a 5-7 cell, knowing they are innocent, and not go completely crazy.  It was amazing to me that Ray could find humor in his situation at different moments during his experience.  After reading his story, it makes me want to live my life to the fullest and enjoy every single moment of FREEDOM.  

Who Should Read It:   I think every adult should read this memoir.  It will make them a better person and appreciate all they have in their own lives.  It is a story that you leave you reading late into the night and thinking about even when you aren't reading it.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars








No comments:

Post a Comment