Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe by Preston Norton

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite things to do during my down time is to browse books at the nearby bookstore.  Last weekend while I was doing just that, I came across this title in the young-adult section.  After a bit of "research", I added the novel to my pile of books to be purchased.  I spent my first week of summer vacation reading about Cliff, Aaron, and their incredible "list".  

What It Is About:   Cliff is the outsider of Happy Valley High School.  Aaron is the quarterback and "star" of the high school crowd.  These two boys couldn't be more opposites and have no time for each other.  After Aaron has a near-death experience, he returns to school a very different kid.  What surprises Cliff the most is when Aaron asks him for help with a "list" of items. The items on the list are to make Happy Valley a better place for all the kids that attend.  Cliff isn't sure he wants to be a part of this "journey", and is really thrown when Aaron tells him he saw God and God told him about the list itself.  After some consideration, Cliff agrees to help Aaron and the two of them begin a personal, intense, and eye-opening venture.  While "checking off" items on the list, Cliff is forced to come to terms with the suicide of his older brother Shane, which occurred a year earlier.  

What I Thought Of It:  I have been in a bit of reading "slip" when it comes to my young-adult and adult reading.  When I came across this title last week, I immediately felt a bit of a spark and had a feeling this was going to be one heck of a read.  I was right.  This story grabbed my interest right from the get-go.  The characters jumped off the page, came to life, and absorbed my thoughts, heart, and emotions.  I'm not sure I've ever read a story about two young men that were so different yet so much alike.  The cast of supporting characters were strong, necessary, and filled-out the story.  I think the plot was true to life, raw, and personal.  The big surprises along the way didn't hurt either.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect novel for the young-adult reader.  That would include high school and/or college readers.  I also think any adult reader would also enjoy the story just as much.  I've already started recommending it to my reading friends via social media.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment