Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, June 8, 2018

The Right Hook of Devin Velma by Jake Burt

How I Heard About It:  I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book via my #bookexpedition group on Twitter.  It arrives in book stores in September of 2018.  It is the second novel by Jake Burt.  

What It Is About:   Devin and Addison could be more different.  Devin likes lots of attention.  Addison does not.  Devin craves the spotlight.  Addison does not.  Devin wants the world to know who he is.  Addison does not.  When Devin comes up with a plan that will put him on the Internet "map", Addison isn't sure he can go along with the plan.  The problem is, Addison always goes along with what Devin wants.  The boys find themselves at a major televised sporting event.  When the plan goes "amiss", each boy becomes a "celebrity" in their own right.  The situation gets a bit messy, when the attention that Addison doesn't want; ends up on him and not so much on Devin.  Each boy learns about their strengths and weaknesses, and what true friendship really means.  

What I Thought Of It:  Jake's first novel was Greetings from the Witness Protection.  I enjoyed that story was excited to see what he was going to write about in his second novel.  I think this one was even better than the first.  The plot was completely driven by two strong and independent boys.  I liked how different they were from each other, but yet relied so much for support from the other.  There were plenty of fun, laugh-out-loud, and touching moments.  As I was reading, I kept thinking how much my fourth grade readers would enjoy the book.  

Who Should Read It:  Being a fourth grade teacher, I will definitely add this title to my classroom collection.  The book could be read by fourth, fifth, and/or six grade readers.  It may be received a bit more favorably by male readers, but of course that doesn't mean female readers wouldn't enjoy as well.  If you have read Burt's first novel, then I recommend you putting this brand new story on your TBR list.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment