Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Finding Langston by Lesa Cline-Ransome

How I Heard About It:  This novel was recommended to me via my #bookexpedition group on Twitter.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *This historical fiction story follows Langston during the migration to Chicago during the 1940's.  

2.  *Langston's mother has died and left him and his father alone and suffering.

3.  *Langston is lonely at home, bullied at school, and missing his mother.  

4.  *When Langston finds the local library, he finds a place of refuge, peace, and knowledge.

5.  *The more he reads and is exposed to a variety of books, he finds answers to his past and his mother's life. 


What I Thought Of It:   I was excited to read this story, but found it quite slow and not a lot happened.  The story was quiet and introspective.  As I reader, I loved how Langston found such joy in the discovery of the library and how he found great satisfaction in reading.  I was also drawn to the relationship that Langston had with his father and the loss he felt toward his mother.  I could relate to that as I lost my mother this past summer.  I'm just not sure who the proper audience is for this novel.  


Who Should Read It:   Because of the pace of the story, I'm wondering which type of reader would best like the story.  The book isn't that long so that isn't the issue.  I'm thinking that maybe a sixth grade and/or middle-school reader would be best suited for the story.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment