Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Wicked Nix by Lena Coakley

How I Heard About It:  I knew nothing of this novel until it came to me via the publisher.  It is a short little novel with a true fantasy/fairy tale type story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The main character in this fairy tale is a "wicked woodland fairy Nix".

2.  *The queen of the forest has left and has put the Nix in charge of protecting it from the humans.  

3.  *He tries to "trick" the intruder and in return just may be tricked himself.


4.  *He serves up a variety of "pranks and spells" while doing everything in his power to fulfill his duties.  

5.  *What might appear to be a simple fairy tale turns into something different altogether.  


What I Thought Of It:  The reviews for this little novel are really strong.  Most readers enjoyed the story.  While I thought the writing was great, I didn't fall in love with the story.  I enjoyed the beginning of it, but then the plot lost me and I found myself skimming.  Even as a child, I never did enjoy the traditional fairy tales.  There was more to the story than the fairy tale on the surface, but I'm not sure I truly took in all the story had to offer.  


Who Should Read It:   I think children that enjoy reading fantasy and fairy tales would appreciate the story.  It is not long so readers in grades three through six would be able to easily handle the book.  Each reader will comprehend the content in their own way.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment