Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Other Wood by Pete Hautman

How I Heard About It:  A friend of mine recommended this novel to me.  I actually had a copy of it so I dug it out from the pile and put it at the top of my list to be read.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Stuey lives with his mother and grandfather.  He spends hours with his grandfather out in the woods and talking.  They have a special bond.

2.  *After Stuey's grandfather dies, Stuey is left alone to figure out all the stories he shared with him before his death.  He knows the answers are in the woods.  

3.  *Stuey meets a friend on the other side of the woods named Elly Rose.  They each have a special place in their heart for the woods, but for different reasons.  They also each have a special "place" in the woods that they want to share with their new friend.  

4.  Each family isn't thrilled at how much time the two kids are spending in the woods because they are fearful something awful may happen.  When that awful thing happens, each family deals with it in their own way.  

5.  Stuey, Elly Rose, and grandfather all have knowledge about the woods and what truly goes on there.  It will be up to Stuey and Elly Rose to bring the past forward and answer some of the mysteries questions that have been haunting these families for quite some time.  


What I Thought Of It:  The start of the story was strong and I enjoyed getting to know Stuey and his family.  I was curious about that the woods "held" and how this area tied to Stuey's family and past.  Elly Rose was an incredible and spunky character.  She brought a lot of life to Stuey and his situation.   Once the incident in the woods unfolded, I did become a little confused with the story line.  The writing went back and forth between Stuey and Elly Rose's story.  I wasn't sure what was actually happening and what might have been fantasy.  It could have been because I was reading too fast that I missed something.  Overall, I enjoyed the writing, the characters, and the story.  


Who Should Read It:  In my opinion, this novel would be be suited for readers in grades five and six, along with middle-school readers.  If you know of young readers that enjoy mystery, fantasy, and a bit of "dark woods", then this is the novel for them.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment