Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Jigsaw Jungle by Kristin Levine

How I Heard About It:  I remember reading a positive comment about this book before it was even released.  I have loved everything Kristin has written so I was excited to dive into this story and see what it was about.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *The story begins with Claudia and her mother being concerned about the disappearance of her father.  

2.  *After a few days of not knowing, Claudia receives word from him.  He is alright, but needs some time to figure "things" out.  



3.  *The timing isn't great because her mother has a trip planned over seas for work.  Claudia is sent to spend that time with her grandfather w, his ho is her father's dad.  

4.  *The two of them don't know each other real well, but as they spend time together, they get to know each other and get to know her father and his secrets.  

5.  *Claudia's father begins to send messages to her to figure out, and put together; all of which lay out his past, his story, and what brought him to the point he is at today.  


What I Thought Of It:  The book was "put together" in quite a unique way.  The story is told via email, voicemails, videos, movies, and a variety of other formats.  This made for a fun and unique reading experience.  I was a bit concerned about why the dad would just up and leave.  I don't think I could do that, but I know in real life things like this happen.  Once the entire story was told, it made a bit more sense.  Overall, I really liked the story, but think it is definitely for the mature reader.  I really appreciate how talented Kristin Levine is as a writer because all of her stories are so different from each other.  


Who Should Read It:   I do think that young readers would enjoy the story, but in my opinion the reader should be in grades six or above.  There are some heavy and mature themes and I think that middle-school readers would be best to handle the content.  The format is perfect for this audience.  I do think that adult readers who gravitate toward middle-grade novels should definitely read this one.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment