Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 19, 2019

The Lost Girl by Anne Ursu

How I Heard About It:   Anne Ursu is one of my favorite middle-grade authors.  I've had the honor of meeting her here in the Twin Cities.  She is the real deal.  While at NCTE in Houston, I was excited to pick up this ARC.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Iris and Lark are identical twins.  Iris is rational, calm, and sensible.  Lark is a dreamer, creative, and an artist.  

2.  *The girls have been side by side since their birth.  They know they are better together than apart.  Each year in school they have been in the same class.

3.  *That is why the girls are completely shocked when their parents announce the girls will be in different classes for with grade.  They explain to them that their principal thinks this will be a good idea.  The girls are angry, hurt, and confused.  

4.  *Iris knows she is will alright, but has worries and concern about her sister.  

5.  *As Lark navigates fifth grade without her sister, she begins to retreat more and more.  Iris tries to find her way alone and discovers a mysterious shop with a mysterious owner


What I Thought Of It:  Anne Ursu certainly has a way with words, sentences, paragraphs, chapters, and novels.  She creates a story of realism, along with fantasy, and intertwines them like no other author.  Once I began the book, I could not stop thinking about the twins and what was happening with them.  I was intrigued by the "happenings" at school and even more curious about the mystery that Iris was trying to uncover.  Anne set the story in Minneapolis and it was enjoyable and fun to read about local attractions and sights.  A highlight was when the "spoon and cherry" disappeared from the Sculpture Garden.  I've read all of her stories, and I think this one may be my new favorite.  


Who Should Read It:   After reading the ARC, I would put this story in the hands of a fifth and/or sixth grader.  The novel would also be perfect for the middle-school reader.  The plot is a bit complex so a mature and solid reader would gain the most from the story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!






No comments:

Post a Comment