Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Eventown by Corey Ann Haydu

How I Heard About It:   After chatting with a representative from Harper Collins during #NCTE18, she handed me a copy of this upcoming novel.  She spoke highly of it.  I had read The Someday Suitcase which I enjoyed so I was excited to read another story by Corey Ann Haydu.  This novel will be out in the world in February of 2019.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Elodee and Naomi are twins living with their parents and recovering from a family "tragedy".

2.  *When their mother receives a new job, they all see this as a chance to change things for the better.  They leave everything behind and move to "Eventown".  

3.  *The family is thrilled when they arrive in Eventown and find that everything is absolutely "perfect".  At first Elodee enjoys this "perfectness", but then begins to notice that not everything is as it seems.

4.  *Each new member of the community goes through a process at the Welcoming Center.  Naomi is the first to finish the "welcoming", but when Elodee begins her turn, it is interrupted and she never finishes.  

5.  *While everyone in Eventown seems to be perfect and has no recollection of their past, Elodee can't seem to forget everything and has many questions and concerns about life in Eventown.  


What I Thought Of It:  Amazing, captivating, intriguing.  Those are three words I could use to begin to describe this story.  As soon as I began, I was drawn into Elodee's world.  Elodee and her family were trying to move on from their past, and the author did a tremendous job of creating a mystery about what they were "running" from.  The ways, traditions, and culture of Eventown were central to the story.  I walked side by side with Elodee as she began to notice some the strange happenings that were going on in her new town.  There were times when I couldn't turn the page fast enough because I wanted to find out what would happen next.  


Who Should Read It:   At 326 pages long, I think this novel would be best suited for readers in grades five and/or six.  The older reader will be able to take in, comprehend, and appreciate all that is truly going on in the town of Eventown.  Of course middle-school readers would be a strong and great audience for his story.  I also think the book could be used as a read aloud in grades four, five, and six.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment