Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 19, 2019

The Shadows We Hide by Allen Eskens

How I Heard About It:   I had read The Life We Bury several years ago.  I enjoyed it and was a story I told many readers about.  When I learned that Allen Eskens wrote a sequel, I quickly ordered a copy and read it over my Christmas vacation 2018/2019.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *The story of Joe Talbert continues in this second story. Joe is now out of college and a reporter in Minneapolis.  

2.  *When he comes across a story about a murder in a small Minnesota town, he is not only interested because of the crime, but because of the man's name:  Joseph Talbert.

3.  *Once Joe arrives in the small Southern Minnesota town, he begins to learn more about the man named Joseph Talbert and why so many residents wanted him dead.  

4.  While investigating, he also begins to put pieces together of his life, family, and how his mother ended up the way she did.  

5.  The cost of spending so much time digging up the past, has a cost to many of the people in Joe Talbert Jr.'s life.  


What I Thought Of It:  Although I don't think this second book was as good as the first, I did enjoy the story and had no issues getting through it.  Eskens writing is easy to read and engaging.  Joe Jr. is an awesome character and I love how he interacted with the characters from the first book and the new ones he met while investigating his father's murder.  The story had mystery, suspense, and plenty of twists and turns.  I would classify the novel as fictional literature and mystery.  Being from Minnesota also made it a fun read because many of our state's landmarks and places were mentioned throughout the story.  


Who Should Read It:   Adult readers definitely need to read The Life We Bury first before they venture into the second installment of Joe and his family.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!







No comments:

Post a Comment