Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, April 1, 2019

Right As Rain by Lindsey Stoddard

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite middle-grade reads from 2018 was Just Like Jackie.  I was excited to learn that Lindsey Stoddard had a new novel out for 2019.  I was intrigued by the title and the cover.  This was my first spring break middle-grade read.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Rain and her parents move from a small Vermont town to the hustle and bustle of New York City.  

2.  *Rain isn't thrilled about this move, or the reason she thinks they are moving, but decides to make the best of it for the sake of her family.  

3.  *Once the three of them arrive in New York, Rain notices that her mother is still acting like nothing has happened, her father is still spending time behind closed doors, and Rain misses the family she once had more than ever.  

4.  *Rain throws herself into her new life;  by joining the school's track team, making new friends, and helping out a local business.  She also gives energy and attention to repairing the damage that her parents are experiencing.  

5.  *During this new phase in her life, Rain learns that you can't escape the past and everyone deals with grief and loss in their own way.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *I'm always amazed how the same author can create such different stories.  This second novel by Lindsey Stoddard was just as great as her first novel, Just Like Jackie.  

2.  *I enjoyed the characters, the plot, and the life lessons that Rain's family learned from their heart-breaking experience.  

3.  *As a reader, I found it refreshing that Stoddard had the father dealing with the loss in a way that is normally targeted toward the mother character.  Being a father myself, I found this a "sensitive" move on the part of the author.  

4.  *The supporting cast of characters that surrounded Rain once she was in New York, added greatly to the overall flow of the story.  

5.  *Looking back on the reading experience, I will remember the moments I had watery eyes along with the moments when I had a giant smile on my face.  There were so many emotions felt during the reading of the book.  


Who Should Read It:   I would say this is the perfect novel for readers in grades four, five, and six.  Of course I would also say middle-school readers would also enjoy the journey that Rain and her parents took while in New York City.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment