Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies by Michael Ausiello

How I Heard About It:  I remember seeing Andy Cohen talking about this memoir and raving about it.  After looking at all the positive reviews online, I decided to listen to it via my Audible App.  The author himself read his own story.  It was an incredible listening experience.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Michael and Kit met thirteen years ago.  As different as these two men were, they were also connected by a strong bond.  

2.  *As they got to know each other, they fell more and more in love.  


3.  *Kit begins to not feel great and is having pain in certain parts of his body.  After a visit to the doctor, he learns he has cancer.  

4.  *At first Michael and Kit learn the cancer is treatable and he should be fine.  After several different consultations, they learn his prognosis is terminal.

5.  *Michael Ausiello documents their eleven month journey while including flashbacks to different aspects of their thirteen-year relationship.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *I love it when the author narrates their own story.  It is especially a rewarding experience when the story is a memoir.  Michael did a phenomal job of sharing his story via audio.  

2.  *As much as the reader knows what is going to happen, based on the title, I kept having hope throughout the whole story that things would turn out differently.  

3.  *There were so many moments when I laughed out loud at these two men and cried real big tears as I listened to their emotional journey.

4.  *Michael has a tremendous way with words which makes sense as he is a writer in New York City.

5.  *I can't remember the last time I was so emotionally invested in a story like I was with this novel.  This is truly a MUST-READ!!!


Who Should Read It:   This adult memoir should be read by everyone.  I posted online that I want to live my life even more to the fullest after reading about Michael and Kit.  This story will make you a better human being.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment