Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly by Rebecca K.S. Ansari

How I Heard About It:  This novel came to me via the publisher.  I didn't know much about it, but do remember seeing a "tweet" about it with positive comments.  I'm on spring break.  I started the book on Tuesday morning and finished by that evening.  I could NOT put the book down.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Charlie has spent the last year grieving the death of his younger brother Liam.  It is hard enough having Liam gone, but it is even harder when no one believes that Liam ever existed.  


2.  *Charlie and his best friend Ana have have worked together to try to figure out what happened to Liam and why no one else, besides Charlie, remembers him.

3.  *Upon the one-year anniversary of Liam's "disappearance", he begins to receive signs that Liam is trying to contact him.  When Charlie and Ana's baseball coach indicates he has knowledge of what truly happened, the three of them begin an adventure of a lifetime.

4.  *During this time, Charlie is having vivid dreams of a time long ago.  These dreams may or may not have a connection to Liam and the baseball coach Jonathan.  

5.  *Charlie must risk it all to pursue his "truth" and find out what happened to his younger brother while trying to save his mother, father, and the family they once knew.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *I can't remember the last time when I started a novel and could literally not stop reading.  That is exactly what happened with this story.

2.  *The premise of the story was unique, fresh, and quite thought-provoking.  

3.  *As much as I wanted to read quickly to find out what was going to happen, I had to slow myself down in order to take in all that was happening with the characters and plot.  

4.  *The author certainly did her research and took her time in creating a complex and intricate story line.  It was amazing how every detail fit and connected with all the "strings" of the entire story.

5.  *Each chapter ended with a cliff-hanger and as I read, I kept thinking how much a class would enjoy this novel as a read aloud; mystery, suspense, and lots of intrigue!!!  


Who Should Read It:   I'm not quite sure how to answer this.  I definitely think this is a novel for the older middle-grade reader.  I would say the individual should be in fifth grade or higher.  As I mentioned, the storyline can be a bit complicated at times.  I think it would make for a tremendous read aloud because the listeners would be on the edge of their seats.  I also think adult that read middle-grade novels MUST read this book.  You will NOT be disappointed.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment