Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, August 2, 2019

Banjo by Graham Salisbury

How I Heard About It:  I was lucky to receive this ARC from a publisher representative from Penguin Random House.  She sent me a small collection of middle-grade novels that will be coming out in the next few months.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Danny and his dog Banjo have a special relationship that every boy should experience in his life.  

2.  *When a neighbor man accuses Banjo of chasing his livestock, Danny's life is turned upside down.  


3.  *Danny's father forces him to make an incredible decision regarding Banjo and his future.  

4.  *In a nearby town, Meg is a young girl who absolutely loves animals and taking care of them.  She is quite surprised when she comes across a stray dog.

5.  *Danny and Meg live parallel lives and one small dog brings them together.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As a reader, it is always so exciting to begin a new story that I know nothing about.

2.  *I was drawn into Danny, Meg, and Banjo's lives immediately.  I also learned a lot about ranching, livestock, and rodeos.  

3.  *With every dog story comes the worry on whether the dog will live or die.  That worry was here, but shed in such a different life than most "dog" stories.

4.  *Recently I've been reading many middle-grade novels with a female protagonist so it was refreshing to see a boy at the center of the story who was not only strong, but sensitive and empathic. 

5.  *It may be a recent "trend", but I appreciate the short chapters and the "hook" at the end of each one.  This format grabs the young reader and keeps them engaged in the story.  


Who Should Read It:    I would love to see this novel used in second through sixth grade classrooms.  The story definitely has something to offer to all of these readers.  I can't wait to use the novel either as a class read aloud and/or a "Breakfast with Books" book club selection.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment