Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 3, 2019

The Miraculous by Jess Redman

How I Heard About It:  After reading RAVE reviews of this new middle-grade novel, I ordered myself a copy and began reading as soon as it was delivered to my doorstep yesterday.  I finished the story this morning.  I literally could NOT put the book down once I started.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Wunder believes in miracles.  So much so he calls himself a "miracologist".  

2.  *He has spent his first eleven years recording all sorts of miracles in his special notebook that his parents purchased for him.



3.  *His belief in miracles comes to an end when his family is faced with a horrific tragedy which leaves his father, mother, and himself grieving an incredible loss.  

4.  *When Faye, a classmate, comes into Wunder's life, the two of them learn that each is dealing with a loss.  As they begin to spend time together, the two children encounter a new "lady" in town.  

5.  *The new resident sends Wunder and Faye on several adventures throughout the town while helping them find the answers they are desperately looking for.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As I mentioned, I began the book yesterday afternoon and finished early this morning.  I could NOT put the novel down and was intrigued by the story.  

2.  *The writing was beautiful, sensitive, and full of imagery.  

3.  *Wunder was one of the most heart warming and endearing characters I've had the pleasure of "meeting" in a middle-grade story.  

4.  *I loved the relationship the writer created between "miracles" and the people that have "passed" to another world.  So many important life-lessons were woven around this theme.  

5.  *There were so tough topics presented within the pages, but Jess Redman was thoughtful, gracious, and authentic while writing about Wunder and his experiences.  


Who Should Read It:    I would say that EVERYONE should read this story.  It will not disappoint.  Individual readers in grades four, five, and six would be a perfect audience.  Of course the book could also be shared with middle-school readers.  In my opinion, the story would be a strong and important class read aloud.  I'm looking forward to sharing the novel with my fourth graders during the 2019/20 school year.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5+ STARS out of 5 Stars!






No comments:

Post a Comment