Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 12, 2020

One Time by Sharon Creech

How I Heard About It:
*While looking at upcoming titles on NetGalley, I saw that one of my favorite middle-grade authors had a new novel coming out and an E-ARC was available for request.  I requested and was granted a copy.  I spent my Sunday afternoon reading the new story from the one and only Sharon Creech.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Gina stands out, both in her family and at home.  She loves her Italian  heritage and "displays" it for all to see.



2.  *Gina didn't enjoy her previous school year because of a strict teacher who didn't appreciate her creative writing and ideas.

3.  *She is hoping the new school year will be refreshing changes.  Gina is surprised with a new teacher and a new neighbor boy.

4.  *As the teacher challenges her students to stretch their thinking and ideas, Gina is pushed to new levels and a new world.

5.  *The neighbor boy, Antonio, also helps Gina realize she can be more than she ever thought.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Sharon Creech's newest work of fiction, brought me an afternoon of complete enjoyment.

2.  *I so enjoyed immersing myself in the world of Gina, her family, and her Italian culture.

3.  *The best character in the story had to be the new teacher Miss Lightstone who brought such life, energy, and excellent teaching ideas.  I'm going to use some of them in the coming school year.

4.  *I enjoyed the format of short chapters, creative chapter titles, and the journey that Gina and Antonio took together.

5.  *My most favorite chapter was the final chapter where Sharon worked her magic and brought everything together to warm this reader's heart.


Who Should Read It:
*As with all of Sharon's books, this one could be used in third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classrooms.  If you know of readers who are fans of Sharon Creech, then you must tell them about her upcoming story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment