Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Orphan Eleven by Gennifer Choldenko

How I Heard About It:
*After finishing my last audio book, I was ready for the next listen to accompany me on my summer daily walks.  I came across this cover, stopped, did a bit of probing, and decided to download it.  I've been listening the last few weeks. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *The one place you don't want to end up in 1939 is the Home for Friendless Children. 

2.  *It is here that four orphans escape searching for a better life. 


3.  *Lucy is one of the children. She doesn't speak anymore and no one knows why. 

4.  *Maybe it is because she has been separated from her older sister and wants nothing more than to be reunited with her. 

5.  *While on the run, Lucy and her friends, find themselves becoming part of a circus and learning not only about the family of circus performers, but themselves as orphans. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *When I first started, I was a bit confused on what was going on.  Maybe I was focusing more on my current walk.

2.  *Once the children left the Home for Friendless Children, the story became more interesting.

3.  *I enjoyed the letters Lucy's sister sent to both Lucy and the lady in charge at the orphanage. 

4.  *I also love a story about the circus, and found the characters under the tent were fascinating and unique. 

5.  *The conclusion of the story was satisfying and one I know young readers will enjoy. 


Who Should Read It:
*The story is a bit long at just over 300 pages.  The plot can be a bit slow and detailed.  For these reasons, I would recommend the book for the fifth and sixth grade reader.  Middle-school readers might even be a better audience than upper elementary.  If you know of young readers would have a circus fascination, this would definitely be the story for them.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment