Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Bloom (Overthrow Book #1) by Kenneth Oppel

How I Heard About It:
*This novel came to via the publisher and I was excited to receive it because I had read many positive reviews.  I also saw many of my reader friends describe it as a "must read". 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *The rain has come and is like no rain anyone has ever seen.

2.  *The rain brings seeds, the seeds bring sprouts, and the sprouts bring growth the world has never seen before. 


3.  *When these plants "bloom" they release a poisonous pollen which in return create pods which swallow both animals and humans. 

4.  *Everyone in the world, and especially an island, are in danger of these plants.  That is except three young people:  Anaya, Petra, and Seth.

5.  *At first the three kids don't want anything to do with each other, but when they find out they have something in common; they join forces to stop the deadly growth. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I listened to the story via Audible and I'm glad I did because it was an exciting and fast faced listen. 

2.  *The plot of Bloom had some eerie similarities to what is actually going on in our world right now. 

3.  *The characters of Anaya, Petra, and Seth were thoughtful, authentic, and I rooted for them the entire listening experience. 

4.  *There was non-stop action and I found myself extending my daily walk because I wanted to listen more to find out what was going to happen. 

5.  *The only thing I didn't like was the conclusion.  The last event left on a complete cliffhanger and I was left with my jaw dropped open.  Thank goodness the sequel is out in the world. 


Who Should Read It:
*Not only would Bloom make for an excellent class read aloud, but I know when it is put in the individual hands of readers, they will eat up the story.  Readers in grades five and above would be the most appropriate audience for the first book in the series.  Happy Reading. 


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment