Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 8, 2020

A Game of Fox and Squirrels by Jenn Reese

How I Heard About It:
*A story I didn't know much about, but when I received a copy from the publisher I thought I would give it a try.  Boy, was I in for a surprise.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story begins when sisters Samantha and Caitlin are sent to live with their aunt and her wife.  

*They have been taken from their parents after an "incident" forces child services to intervene.  



*All Samatha wants is to return home and be reunited with her parents.  She wishes she hadn't "talked".

*Her older sister Caitlin seems fine with their new living situation.  

*When Sam is given a new game, she uses the game and its characters to help her return to the life she believes she wants.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The writing was beautiful and exquisite.  

*My heart hurt for Sam and how desperately she wanted to go back home and protect her parents.  

*The realization that children will do almost anything to be with their mom and dad, hit me hard while reading the story.

*As a reader, I thought the combination of reality and magical realism were intertwined.  

*I felt so many emotions while reading.  Not an easy topic, but a necessary one.  


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the subject matter and slower writing style, I would say the novel would be best suited for readers in grades five and six.  Middle-school readers would also ideal for the story.  I know adults would also find the novel powerful, real, and emotional.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment