Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 8, 2020

When Stars are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed

How I Heard About It:
*One of those books that I kept hearing about over the over, but never got to reading it myself.  I finally carved out some time and boy am I glad I did.  I'm not the biggest fan of graphic novels (for myself), but I sure did enjoy the story of Omar. 

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Omar and his brother Hassan have spent most of their life in a refuge camp in the country of Kenya.

*They have been living here since they fled Somalia after being separated from their parents.

*Omar has taken it upon himself to care for his younger brother who has some differences.

*Day in and day out, the two boys make the best of living in the camp.

*Omar's life is changed greatly when he begins to attend school and sets his hopes and dreams on living in America.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The graphic were outstanding.

*The text was engaging, authentic, and thoughtful.

*As I read, and looked, I could feel the pain and hardship that Omar dealt with.  

*The authors and illustrators took hold of my heart, mind, and thoughts.  

*The pacing and development of the plot was pitch-perfect.  I loved everything about this new graphic novel.  


Who Should Read It:
*Anyone wanting to get an idea of what it is like living in such a camp, should look no further than this graphic novel.  I think readers in grades three and above would be the perfect audience for the story and graphics.  I can't wait to share Omar's journey with my fourth grade students.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars











No comments:

Post a Comment