Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 16, 2021

The Kindest Lie by Nancy Johnson

How I Heard About It:
*As we head toward the end of the year, my BBC (Boy's Book Club) was looking for one more novel to read before we break for summer vacation.  We gathered a list of five titles and landed on this one.  I knew nothing about the story, but was willing to give it a try.  I listened to the audio version via Audible.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Ruth has everything going for her:  A Career, a wonderful husband, and a life she could only dream of.  

*That all changes, when her husband goes down the road of wanting a child.

*Ruth's past comes back in a flurry of memories leading her back to her hometown.

*While searching for answers, Ruth meets a young white boy named Midnight.  

*Midnight just may be the "route" to what she is so desperately looking for.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The audio version of the story was quite good and held my attention the entire listen.

*Ruth and Midnight's stories were quite different, but worked well together.

*There wasn't a ton of "action", but the story was interesting and thoughtful.

*All plot elements seemed to be tied up quite neatly at the conclusion which gave me a question or two.

*I'm not not the story is geared toward a 50 something year old male, but I'm always happy to venture out and try something new.


Who Should Read It:
*I know many readers will enjoy this new novel published for adults.  I do think the book is intended more for the female audience.  The story is character driven, well written, and quite timely.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment