Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 28, 2022

On the Hook by Francisco X. Stork

How I Heard About It:
*This young-adult title came to me several years ago by a fellow reader.  I had it on my TBR list for quite some time.  While shopping at the local book store I saw the novel sitting on the shelf and knew it was time to purchase.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Hector, a high-schooler, keeps to himself, stays focus, and enjoys his life with his few friends and his interest in chess.

*Joey, a high-schooler, is known for being the younger brother a gang leader.

*Joey singles Hector out and begins to make life for Hector very difficult.

*When both boys' older brother have a violent confrontation, Hector must decide what he is going to do about it.

*Hector and Joey end up at the same destination where both young men make difficult decisions that will affect not only their present, but their future.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The story lived up to everything my friend told me. 

*Hector was a character that grabbed a hold of me from the get-go and didn't let go until well after finishing his story.

*There may have been a few scenes that were a bit unrealistic, but the story was fiction, so I let go of those thoughts.

*Hector and Joey were quite different, but yet in some ways, had more in common than they realized.

*The themes of family, struggle, friendship, and fighting for what is right were woven through each and every page.


Who Should Read It:
*The perfect novel for the young-adult reader.  I also think the story will appeal to most adult readers.  It is quite the page-turner.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment