Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Small World by Jonathan Evison

How I Heard About It:
*I read this novel for my BBC (Boy's Book Club) which is a small group of men that I have taught with for many many years.  We had read a previous work by Evison and thought we would give his newest work of fiction a try.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*There are two time periods in which the novel takes place.  The first one is in the late 1800's and the second takes place during present time.  

*Both story lines involve the trans-continental railroad.  

*The characters presented in the late 1800's have relatives that are living in present-day and all characters are linked to traveling on a train in the Pacific Northwest.  

*There are a variety of families/characters that are all from different backgrounds and experiencing different events in their lives.

*As you reach toward the end, the stories of the past are intertwined with the events of today.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*When I first begin, I was completely drawn in.

*The writing was beautiful and top-notch.

*I did have to take some notes about the characters/families to keep everyone straight in my mind and how everyone was connected.

*There were some stories I was more connected to than others.  

*It is a large epic story and at times got a bit long, but overall was quite an enjoyable read.  


Who Should Read It:
*This is definitely a story for readers that are willing to invest their time and "focus" into an epic sprawling story that contains quite the platitude of characters.  Be ready to take your time and soak in the story from the master writer Jonathan Evison.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment