Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, October 24, 2022

The Hope of Elephants by Amanda Rawson Hill

How I Heard About It:
*There are times when you receive a novel, know nothing about the story line or author, open to the first page and can't stop reading until the very last page.  That is what happened to me yesterday (Sunday) with this book.  Thank you to Charlesbridge for sending me this incredible story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Cass is about to turn twelve, has always had a fascination with baseball, and begins to develop a new interest with elephants and origami.

*She has also grown to accept her dad's cancer will return every other year.  The disease has become another member of their family.

*With his most recent visit to doctors, Cass' dad learns his cancer has returned and the news is worse than in the past years. 

*Cass learns she may carry the same gene that her father has carried and dealt with most of his adult life.

*She must make the difficult decision in whether she wants to find out if she carries the gene or not.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned above, once I began the novel, I literally could not stop reading.

*I'm not normally a fan of "verse", but was completely drawn into Cass' world and was captivated by her story.  

*There were so many beautiful sentences, sections, and pages within the book.  The author certainly has a way putting words together to create beautiful imagery.  

*I had never heard of this type of cancer and/or gene, but was fascinated by what I read and learned within the pages of this heartwarming story.  

*Cass is an incredible character and one I won't soon forget.  So many "feels" while reading.  


Who Should Read It:
*This is definitely a novel for everyone.  I think it would make for an incredible class read aloud in grades four and/or five.  Readers in middle-school would also be the perfect audience.  I'm also going to be recommending the novel to my adult reader friends.  I know they will find great satisfaction, joy, and emotion.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment