Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, October 17, 2022

When Impossible Happens by Jane De Suza

How I Heard About It:
*This ARC came to me via G.P. Putnaam's Sons Books for Young Readers/Penguin Random House.  The novel will be released in April of 2023.  I spent my Sunday afternoon curled up with the book and so enjoyed the upcoming middle-grade story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story takes the reader to India during the beginning of lockdown of 2020.

*Our main character is eight-year old Swara who has spunk, energy, and curiosity.  

*Swara and her beloved grandmother spend time during the lockdown chatting via video.

*Soon, the grandmother can't meet and Swara isn't sure why, but is bound to find out.

*Her parents tell her one story, but Swara knows that isn't the truth and begins to look for clues to find out where her grandmother is.  She also finds herself trying to solve a mystery occurring during the lockdown.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*It isn't often I find a chapter book geared toward younger readers that I think has a lot of "meat" to it.

*As soon as I began the story, I knew I was in for something special.

*It was interesting to read about the lockdown set in India told from the point of view of a young girl.  

*Swara had so much "character" and jumped off each and every page.

*There were two stories happening side by side; the mystery of the grandmother and the mystery of the village in which Swara lived.  They both worked!


Who Should Read It:
*The perfect story for readers in grades two, three, and four.  I think the book would be ideal for a class read aloud because there would be so much to discuss.  This novel should be in all early elementary classrooms and libraries.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment