Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, November 24, 2022

Opinions and Opossums by Ann Braden

How I Heard About It:
*While attending #NCTE22 in California, I stopped by the Penguin Random House booth.  After chatting with some of my favorite representatives, I walked away with an ARC of Ann Braden's upcoming middle-grade novel.  The book will be out in the world in May of 2023.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Agnes has some questions.  Actually, she has a lot of questions.  

*Agnes lives with her mother, who encourages her daughter to follow the rules and not question authority.

*After a "run-in" with an opossum on the open road, Agnes begins to question the world around her.

*While attending confirmation classes, with other girls from school, Agnes takes a step out of her comfort zone and pushes the boundaries that are being put upon her.  

*With the help of her writing, about an opossum of course, Agnes comes to see the "big picture" with clarity and satisfaction.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I was thrilled to get my hands on the ARC at the Penguin Random House booth.  I had begun to see advance praise for the story and didn't know if I could wait until May.

*The title had me quite curious about the plot and I tried to figure out how opinions and opossums would be tied together.

*Well, author Ann Braden did a fantastic job of writing a story about a young girl who has legitimate questions about her world, faith, and position in society.  

*I loved how the "opossum" stories were intertwined with the events in Agnes' actual life.

*The story gives the reader a lot to think about and shows how young people can have a voice in this ever-complicated world.


Who Should Read It:
*In my "OPINION", I think everyone should read this upcoming middle-grade novel.  The story will resonate with middle-grade, middle-school, high-school, and even adult readers.  There is so much to be gained from experiencing Agnes' journey.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment