Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, November 14, 2022

The Bluest Sky by Christina Diaz Gonzalez

How I Heard About It:
*Knopf Publishers (Random House Children's Books) sent me an ARC of this over the summer of 2022.  The novel was released in early September.  The book sat in my "to be read" pile for quite some time, but I got around to the story mid-fall.  I'm so glad I sat down and dug into the book.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The reader is taken back to communist Cuba 1980.

*Hector's father has been sent to the United States, while the rest of the family remains in Cuba.

*After the country gives the option of leaving the island, Hector's family is torn between two decisions.  

*Hector witnesses a tragic incident which follows some very difficult decisions.  

*Hector sees possibilities in both Cuba and the United States, and has to grow up faster than a young boy should.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I've read several fiction stories about life in Cuba and characters fleeing to the United States, but this particular story stands out on its own.

*I was drawn to the character of Hector and all he had to endure.  

*In my opinion, there were some spots that moved a bit slow, but then I would turn the page and the action would pick up again.

*As I read, I could completely understand the difficult choices that Hector was faced with. 

*This will be a great addition to classroom libraries so young readers can read and learn about the Cuba experience in the early 1980's.  


Who Should Read It:
*I would say this novel would be best suited for readers in grades five and six, along with students in the middle-school setting.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment