Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, November 14, 2022

Signal Fires by Dani Shapiro

How I Heard About It:
*While searching online for a new audio novel to listen to, I came across this title.  It is a novel published for adults.  After reading some reviews, I downloaded the book and began listening.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story begins in 1985 with a tragic car accident. 

*The rest of the book follows two families through the years; the Wilf's and the Shenkman's.  

*The Wilf family consists of the parents and their two children, both of which face issues through their adult life.  

*The Shenkman family is the couple across the street.  They are raising their son who isn't your typical young boy.

*Over the years, their lives intersect and all members have a definite impact on each other.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I really enjoyed listening to the novel via Audible and thought it was great that the author did the reading herself.

*The story hooks the reader right off the bat with an incident that will effect everyone involved.

*As I continued to listen, I realized the "speed" of the plot was a bit slower than I typically enjoy, but it actually didn't both me.

*The characters were real, complex, and unique.

*The plot switched between characters and time periods and this technique worked quite well for the novel.  


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the novel to all adult readers.  I think they would enjoy the story either via the written word or the narration by the author.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars









No comments:

Post a Comment